lemon squares recipe
For dessert on Rosh HaShana we had lemon squares and since then I’ve been wanting to try to make them. This recipe doesn’t make a large amount, so you have a good excuse not to give any to anyone else …
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 115 grams butter, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- powdered sugar
- Heat oven to 175ºC.
- Mix flour, butter and powdered sugar. Press in greased, papered square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches, building up 1/2-inch edges.
- Bake crust 10 to 20 minutes.
- Beat granulated sugar, lemon peel, lemon juice, baking powder, salt and eggs with electric mixer on high speed about 3 minutes or until light and fluffy. Pour over hot crust.
- Bake 15 to 25 minutes or until no indentation remains when touched lightly in center. Cool; dust with powdered sugar. Cut into about 1 1/2-inch squares.
simmer down notes:
- As always, I can’t resist making a comment … I felt like this cooked too quickly – I’ve probably mentioned before that I suspect that my oven is a bit too hot. Anyway, the top went very dark in a way that seemed wrong to me. In the end the centre was a bit soft but VERY delicious, and next time I think I won’t worry about the colour; maybe I’ll just set the tray a bit lower in the oven.
- I felt that I didn’t have enough pastry to build up the edges but I guess I just didn’t want to make it too thin – in some places there was more edge than others and it turned out well.
Entry filed under: recipe.