chicken tagine recipe for the freezer
- 1/2 kg boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed (about 4 medium breast halves)
- 1 kg boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed (about 6 medium thighs)
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- lemon zest from 2 lemons
- 8 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each ground ginger, coriander and cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 kg carrots (about 6 medium), peeled and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups green olives, pitted and halved
- 1 cup dried apricots, chopped
- Pat chicken dry with paper towels. Season with salt and pepper. Coat with flour. Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken and cook until golden brown on both sides, about 6-9 minutes. Transfer browned chicken to plate. Repeat with 2 more tablespoons oil and remaining chicken. Transfer to plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to pot and return to medium heat. Add onions, zest and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook until onions are browned. Stir in garlic, paprika, cumin, ginger, coriander, cinnamon and cayenne. Cook about 30 seconds. Slowly whisk in broth and honey, scraping up any browned bits.
- Add chicken thighs, bring to simmer and cook 5 minutes. Add carrots, then breasts in single layer atop carrots. Return to simmer, cover and cook 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken to plate. Stir olives and apricots into pot, return to simmer and cook about 6 minutes, uncovered, until liquid has thickened slightly and carrots are tender. Meanwhile, shred chicken into bite-size pieces (or leave whole). Stir in shredded chicken, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To store: Let tajine cool, uncovered at room temperature, 45 minutes. Transfer to airtight containers and refrigerate up to 2 days, or freeze up to 1 month.
- To reheat: Spoon off fat from the top and transfer to a pot. Cover and bring to simmer over medium-low heat, gently stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes (adding additional water as needed to adjust sauce consistency). Off heat, stir in lemon juice, mashed garlic and grated lemon zest. Let stand 5-10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle cilantro over individual portions.
Entry filed under: uncategorized.